Saturday, May 11, 2013

AHHH, MOTHER'S DAY....!


The holiest day of the year for florists and greeting card companies!

Curious to know the origin of this day? From Wikipedia:

The modern holiday of Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in Grafton, West Virginia. She then began a campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday in the United States. 

Although she was successful in 1914, she was already disappointed with its commercialization by the 1920s. Jarvis' holiday was adopted by other countries and it is now celebrated all over the world. In this tradition, each person offers a gift, card, or remembrance toward their mothers, grandmothers, and/ or maternal figure on mother's day.

If Miss Anna Jarvis was "disappointed" by the commercialization of her idea by the 1920s, what on earth would she make of it in today's Capitali$m-Gone-Berserk America? But I digress.
Now, there are mothers and there are mothers...I am not a mother in the traditional sense, but I certainly am a mother in the non-traditional (why, "mother" is part of one of my favorite words!) And also having rescued enough cats to literally bankrupt myself ~ if that's not a sure sign of maternal love, then tell me, what is?

Having inherited my own mother's complete and total lack of 'maternal instinct,' I never wanted kids. When they're young, they're smelly, noisy, messy little no-necks who make noise, throw food all over the place and pee/shit in their pants. UCK. Thanks but no thanks. I don't even like people visiting me who have kids. Grubby little hands touching everything in sight, disappearing into unsupervised rooms, I can't wait till they leave and peace & quiet reigns again.

It always amazed me when people asked, "But don't you want to be cared for in your old age? Without children, who's going to do that for you?" 

Oh, is that why you have kids? To ensure your sunset years by saddling your aging and decaying body on the backs of your children? Wow, never thought of that one! And where's the guarantee that your own diaper-clad ass won't be deposited at the nearest nursing home, and your kids will only visit you on.....Mother's Day!?

Hmmm. Joan Crawford may have had a point...NO WIRE HANGERS!!!


(No children were harmed in the writing of this piece.)


BEWARE OF NORTON LIFELOCK!!!

This is a short story about a disreputable, despicable company by the name of NORTON LIFELOCK. They deducted over $250.00  from my account W...