Monday, August 6, 2012

OLD RABBIT EARS vs. FLAT SCREEN TV?


I'll take Old Rabbit Ears, hands down.

I am the proud (if reluctant) new owner of a "flat-screen" TV, the result of my 1997 boxy, 500-lb. Zenith's recent nervous breakdown, and some truly wonderful friends who came to the rescue with a "state-of-the-art" (dahling!) Toshibi television wonderland. (I'm still wondering why a simple INSTRUCTION MANUAL wasn't enclosed so I can figure out what the hell I'm doing.) 

So I called Toshiba-USA (answered in India...) and this is what I heard. "Oh, we are an eco-friendly company! You can go to our website, download it and print it yourself." Say what?? I must really be behind the times since this is the 'new way' of doing things. Oh, and another great way for corporations to save money by placing the burden on us ~ the customer who used to come first ~ to finish the package. 

Hey Toshiba! How about you sending me a ream of paper and an ink cartridge so I can afford to print out your FORTY-SIX PAGE online instruction manual? 

Getting back to the subject matter, Old Rabbit Ears didn't have the best reception, so some resorted to sticking 'tin foil' (pictured) on one ear, or installing rooftop antennas. Those of us who lived in apartment buildings had to scream out the window up to the roof, as the appointed family member moved the antenna around to clear up the picture. "THAT'S IT, HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!" 

The TV itself had 3 or 4 buttons and a cute little compartment that you could open to adjust the horizontal/vertical picture. And that was IT. Except for the occasional tube replacement, no big deal. (I must admit, I do favor color over black & white, which I still think is a miracle, but after that milestone I couldn't care less.) 

These days, you have to work for NASA just to figure out the TV remote/cable remote (I don't DARE use the DVD-player, or all three remotes would be hurled out the nearest window) and just what is this remote business, anyway, part and parcel of the new Fat America? I mean, REALLY...is it that difficult to just get UP and change the channel??

But, as Bob Dylan once observed, "the times they are a-changin'" and I certainly don't want to be one of those people who refuse to get out of the way. So I'll try to enjoy this bizarre new science-fiction world of FLAT SCREEN television and not long for the past...but I gotta tell you, it was a WHOLE lot more fun in those black-and-white days than it is today, crummy reception and all.

"On the roof it's peaceful as can be....." (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) 

Yup, just me and a plain old television antenna.

"HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!" I only wish I could have...


BEWARE OF NORTON LIFELOCK!!!

This is a short story about a disreputable, despicable company by the name of NORTON LIFELOCK. They deducted over $250.00  from my account W...