One Christmas, not so long ago, in an effort to finally receive a gift that a) I could actually use, and b) wasn't already predestined for the Goodwill donation bin, I thought it would be a good idea to suggest to a cousin a gift that I could really use.
"How about all of you chip in" (said I) "and get me one present ~ a digital camera ~ instead of everyone buying individual gifts?" Again, said I silently, "most of which I can't use or wouldn't be caught dead wearing."
"NAH!" was her delicate and sensitive response.
NAH?? WTF? This, from a cousin (and family) upon whom I lavished gifts over the years/decades ~ and not just gifts, but presents in which I invested a lot of thought and care so the recipients would not only be happy to receive them but also be able to use...from color to fabric to practicality to personalized artwork, not a stone went unturned before a final decision was made. I cared not that I was racking up credit card bills that would eventually render me bankrupt. This was Christmas and a family that I loved, who cared if I couldn't afford the million gifts I brought to them every year?
And after all of that, I receive NAH! in response to a simple request?? Anyone else shaking their head in disbelief or am I just a bit hypersensitive?
It took me a (long) while but I finally smartened up and began buying for myself what I needed and wanted, and stopped the insanity of giving so much more than I ever received. Besides, Christmas is supposed to be about giving, not receiving, and no one embraced that belief more than I did. Obviously.
The end result was a general boycott of all things Christmas, to the point that I preferred staying home alone rather than sharing a most special holiday with a bunch of insensitive, self-centered and selfish people, family or not.
The first Christmas I did that, I received a call from the matriarch of the bunch: "Paula, no one should be alone on Christmas Day...please come over."
To which I replied: "NAH!"
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
THE AMERICAN CLASS STRUGGLE HAS A FACE * *Or, as one YouTube comedian observed, "We finally have someone who can replace all those Ch...
-
It was my 4th grade Christmas play. My classmates and I had been working on it since the beginning of school in September, and I could h...
-
At least when it comes to negative people who want nothing more than to suck the life energy out of your body and have you join them in thei...
-
Having just watched an excellent (and poignant) PBS documentary ~ The Italian Americans ~ I am reminded of my own life of growing up Itali...
-
Dear Diary, Well, my only true friend, here I am, alone in this tacky big house painted all white (did they ever hear of GOLD??) surro...
-
I miss the English language. Somewhere along the line, it got lost and I will never stop searching for it, no matter how hopeless the qu...
-
From Wikipedia: Ailurophobia is a type of specific phobia : the persistent, irrational fear of cats . It comes from the Greek αἴλουρος ( ...
-
Every single time I completed a piece of artwork or writing and showed it to my mother, she had the maddening habit of declaring "I...
-
From Wikipedia: Luddites were 19th Century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed, labor-saving machinery from 18...
-
Or so sayeth a certain blockhead who used to be part of my life and who simply cannot comprehend the word friend unless it's atta...
-
The title of this piece is taken from a song I fell in love with last summer by the great Michael Franks. The more I listened to it, the mor...
