Saturday, July 27, 2013

FROM PROMISE TO PROMISE...

...that is the title of a song written by Rod McKuen and recorded by Frank Sinatra on their collaboration, "A Man Alone."

And here are the lyrics.

"I sometimes wonder why people make promises they never intend to keep. Not in big things, like love or elections, but in the things that count ~ the newspaper boy who says he'll save an extra paper and doesn't. The laundry that tells you your suit will be ready on Thursday and it isn't. Love? Well, yes, but like everything else, we go from day to day, and we move from promise to promise..." 

Promises have always meant a great deal to me personally. If I give my word to someone, I've always done my best to keep it. (Barring, of course, evil external forces that cause emotional trauma. Then all bets are off.)

I used to work for a record company that had a highly-respected 'classical' catalog. When a doctor I was seeing told me he loved classical music, I promised him a surprise on my next visit. As I gleefully handed over an extensive collection of classical records to him, I will never forget his words:

"Paula, you are going to have a very difficult time in life." When I asked why he said that, he replied, "Most people will tell you things and then forget them. Very few keep their word, as you did today. Because of that, I'm afraid you are going to experience many disappointments in this world."

Decades later, in retrospect, I guess I've had more than my share. And being an extremely sensitive and sincere person, each and every broken promise also put another little crack in that fragile little place where one's heart is located.

The first broken promise that shattered my heart was when I was in high school, and a neighborhood friend casually said that he'd drive by the next day and pick me up in  his car. That was such a big deal, to be picked up by someone with a car, I could not wait until 3:00!

My friends had all left, but I waited and waited outside the school exit until, at 4:30, I finally gave up and walked home, absolutely devastated that someone I loved so much could 'forget' a promise. I cried until I had no tears left, but I continued to believe in promises...I never could vanquish that trusting little child inside, regardless of how many times my heart was broken.

These days, I no longer get as upset as I did when I was young; but I have become a lot more circumspect (if still hypersensitive) about 'promises' and the terrible sinking sensation I continue to feel inside whenever a promise is broken.

The final lyrics of Rod McKuen's song:

"I've had a good many promises now, so I can wait for the harvest. And some of them to come about..."

That would be a nice ending, wouldn't it.....?





BEWARE OF NORTON LIFELOCK!!!

This is a short story about a disreputable, despicable company by the name of NORTON LIFELOCK. They deducted over $250.00  from my account W...